Authentic Madras Beef Curry
Recreate your favourite beef curry at home using beef shin and classic Asian spices.
- 675g/1½lb beef shin, cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 5ml/1tsp ground turmeric
- 10ml/2tsp Garam Masala
- 5ml/1tsp cumin seeds, crushed or ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp dried chilli flakes or hot pepper sauce
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 400ml/14 fl oz good, hot beef stock
- Natural yogurt, to garnish
- Small handful freshly chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 200mins
Heat the oil in a large 1.2L/2pint heat/flameproof casserole dish with a lid and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices together for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly coloured. Add the remaining ingredients except the yogurt and coriander.
Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 3 hours on the hob or in a preheated oven at Gas mark 4, 180°C/350°F until the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required.
Garnish with the yogurt and coriander and serve the curry with rice, naan bread or poppadoms and a selection on chutneys.
Images courtesy of AHDB.