Ham and Peas Pudding Broth
A great hearty broth
- 900g (2lb) Unsmoked Ham Shank
- 250g (8oz) Quick soak dried peas (soak for 2 hours)
- 2 Carrots, peeled and left whole
- 2 Onions, peeled and cut in half
- 900ml (1½pt) Water
- 1 Turnip, peeled and cut in half
- Black pepper (no salt)
- 300ml (½pt) Cider
- 2 Bayleaves
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 140 mins
Rehydrate peas by following pack instructions (usual soaking time is around 2 hours for quick soak variety or overnight for longer version).
Place ham shank in large pan with rehydrated peas and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, skim off the scum and reduce to a gentle simmer with lid on for about 1½-2 hours, until ham shank is tender and almost flaking and the peas have broken down and are ‘mushy’.
Remove rind and fat from ham shank and serve in bowls with broken chunks of crusty bread for dunking!
Image courtesy of AHDB from www.lovepork.co.uk