Lamb and Barley Risotto
- 450g/1lb lean diced lamb
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp ground cumin
- 10ml/2tsp ground turmeric
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml/7floz reduced fat coconut milk
- 200g/7oz pearl barley
- 850ml/1½pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 100g/4oz green peas
- Large bunch freshly chopped mint
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 80 mins
Place the lamb in a large bowl, season and coat in the spices.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the lamb for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a 1.7L/3pint casserole dish.
Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft but not brown. Transfer to the casserole dish.
Add the pearl barley, coconut milk, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 55 minutes, stirring once.
Add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Garnish with the mint and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Images courtesy of AHDB.