Red Thai Lamb Shanks
- 4 lean lamb shanks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 30ml/2tbsp Red Thai curry paste
- 2 x 200-250ml cartons coconut cream
- 450ml/�pint good, hot lamb stock
- 375g/12oz small new potatoes, skin on and halved
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped basil or coriander
Serves 4 Difficulty Rating:***
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time:200 mins
Instructions:Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170C, 325F.
Place the lamb shanks on a chopping board and season. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
Add the onions to the frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden. Spoon into the casserole dish. Add the curry paste, coconut cream, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and transfer to the oven for 2-3 hours, or until the meat falls away from the bone.
25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the potatoes, mix well, cover and return to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
Stir gently, garnish with the herbs and serve with couscous or rice and seasonal vegetables.
This recipe works well on the hob too.
Images courtesy of AHDB.