Honey-Glazed Rack of Lamb
- 1 x 6-boned lean rack of lamb, French trimmed and chined
- 45ml/3tbsp clear honey
- 20ml/4tsp light soy sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp English mustard
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 10ml/2tsp plain or sauce flour
- 150ml/¼pint dry red wine
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 10ml/2tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
Difficulty Rating: ***
Prep Time:10 mins
Total Time:60 mins
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
In a small bowl mix together the honey, soy sauce, mustard and mint.
Place the racks, fat side up on a chopping board and lightly score. Season on both sides and brush the rack on both sides with the honey mixture. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Roast for 30-35 minutes for medium. Cover the bones with foil if browning too quickly.
Meanwhile prepare the sauce; heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions and carrots over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour in the wine and the stock.
Increase the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Add the rosemary, season, cover and set aside.
Cut the rack into cutlets and serve with a gooey cheese mash, fine green beans and the sauce.
Images courtesy of AHDB. www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk