The marinade is a mixture of red wine vinegar, garlic, shallot, fresh coriander, parsley, oregano leaves, oil and seasoning.
- 4 steaks, weighing 200g/7oz each
- For the Chimichurri Marinade:*
- 100ml/3½fl oz red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- Large bunch freshly chopped coriander
- Large bunch freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 100ml/3½fl oz extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
To prepare the marinade; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Pour half the marinade into a shallow non-metallic dish and reserve the remainder. Place the steaks in the marinade mixture and coat well on both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or if time allows overnight.
Remove from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference (based on a 5cm/2inch thick steak): Rare -2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare - 3-4 minutes on each side, Medium - 5-7 minutes on each side.
Remove the steaks from the pan, transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for a few minutes.
Slice the steaks, spoon over the remaining marinade and serve with roasted vegetables.
The marinade works well with other types of steaks too.