Steak Sandwich with Pickled Veg
- 450g/1lb picanha
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Rub:
- 45ml/3tbsp light brown sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp sea salt
- 30ml/2tbsp ground paprika
- 15ml/1tbsp cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- ¼ white cabbage, finely shredded
- 7 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ small cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 5ml/1tsp sea salt
- 30ml/2tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2.5ml/½tsp caster sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Salad leaves, to garnish
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time:35 mins
To prepare the pickled vegetables; put all the vegetables into a large bowl, add the salt, mix gently, cover and set aside for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.
To prepare the rub; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
Transfer the vegetables into a large sieve and rinse under cold running water. Allow the liquid to drain into a large bowl for 10 minutes. Reserve 30ml/2tbsp of the collected liquid.
Transfer to a large bowl and add the vinegar and sugar. Toss gently and set aside for 30 minutes for the flavours to develop. Add the reserve liquid and mint. Season and stir.
Heat a non-stick griddle pan. Brush the steaks with the oil on both sides with the rub and cook for your preferred cooking time. Alternatively, cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill.
Serve in ciabatta rolls dressed with salad leaves and topped with the pickled vegetables.